01 May, 2020
GOOGLE ANNOUNCES FREE SHOPPING LISTINGS FOR AUSSIE RETAILERS
Before the end of the year, Australian retailers can expect a major change to Google’s Shopping platform. This groundbreaking update is currently being rolled out in North America, allowing retailers to list their inventory on the Google Shopping platform for free. Until now, retailers have had to pay for Google Ads in order to be featured on the “Shopping” tab. When this update is rolled out, the “Shopping” tab on Google search will consist primarily of free listings. During this challenging period for most businesses, this update could not have come at a better time to help eCommerce retailers increase visibility and sales.
What this means for your business
Why are we so excited about this update? For retailers, this change means free exposure to millions of people who come to Google every day for their shopping needs. Listings for participating retailers are eligible to appear in these Google Shopping results at no cost to them. However, similarly to the Google Search index, paid listings will continue to appear in ad slots and will operate in the same way as Shopping Ads do today.
How you can prepare for this update
We recommend a few things In order to best prepare yourself up to take advantage of this update. This is the time to optimise your products, including the optimal use of keywords and Google specification data. The better the SEO is for your products, the better they are likely to rank organically. You will also need to register to be a part of the program. To register, you’ll need to undertake the following steps:
- Make sure your products are eligible and align with Google’s policies.
- Register your business with the Google Merchant Center, it is here where you can opt into the “Surfaces Across Google“ program. The Surfaces Across Google Program enables your products to be listed on Google.
- When you opt in with the Surfaces Across Google program, you’ll need to:
By practicing the best feed hygiene through optimisation and complying with Google product specification data, you’ll be setting yourself for success. This will not only prepare your account for the launch of Google Shopping’s free listings but simultaneously improve your overall SEO and organic search for products.
How we can help
The team at Nelson O’Neill are here to help you with this major shift at Google. We’re able to assist you with the following services.
- We can help you review and optimise your products.
- Assist your Google Merchant Account setup.
- Set up shopping Ads for your products to ensure optimal positioning for your products.
- Develop your Google Shopping strategy.
Connect with us today firstname.lastname@example.org.